GrepCode IntelliJ IDEA Plugin
The GrepCode (GC) plugin for IntelliJ IDEA allows IntelliJ users to access the search facilities provided by GrepCode.
This tutorial describes how to install and use the plugin. The screenshots were taken using IntelliJ IDEA 10.0.
The GC plugin is compatible with IntelliJ IDEA versions 10.0 and above
The GC plugin may be installed, as any other IntelliJ IDEA plugin, by applying the following steps:
- Open IDE Settings window ("File/Settings") and choose "Plugins" item from the list.
- Open "Available" tab and select a plugin named "GrepCode.com Code Search".
- Open context menu and click on "Download and Install" item to install the plugin.
Once the GC plugin has been installed, you can use it to browse the source code of open source libraries, that you use in your project development.
Here is an example to illustrate this:
- Assume that you are working on a project that involves an open source library, such as JGroups.
Your project registers jgroups-all.jar as its dependency, as shown below.
- Your class "JGroupsTest" makes use of JGroups classes, such as "JChannel".
If you click on "JChannel", you get the class file view which allows you to browse the outline of "JChannel" but not its source code.
- Fear not :-) While in the class fileview, you can just open the editor context menu and select "Find on GrepCode.com" item to ask the GC plugin to search within
GrepCode for the "JChannel" class. The results of the search are shown in the browser started by the your IDE.
- Aternativelly you can use "Find on GrepCode.com" item of the "Tools" menu